How to prevent mold from further growing?
1. Discover the existing mold in your home by examining all parts of the premises. Start looking for mold from rooms that are subjected to a great deal of moisture (bathrooms, kitchens and dungeons). Due to its specific odor, the mold is most easily localized by our sense of smell. Special attention should be paid to places where leakage has occurred. Review for parts of your home with white and black spots on the walls, ceilings and floors.
2. Consider the size of the molded area. If it is more than one square meter, seek professional help to prevent mold from further growing.
3. Close the part that you will clean to avoid moving the spores of mold from room to room. Cover the air vents with plastic coatings by attaching them with tape. Open the windows in the room.
4. Move the furniture from the clean room to another room that is not been affected from mold. Place objects that are affected by mold, such as paper and books, in plastic bags of rubbish. Pack clothes for further cleaning.
5. When cleaning, wear safety glasses, gloves and half mask.
6. Wash all surfaces by rubbing with a sponge and immersing it in a cleaning solution.
7. The rest of the room should be cleaned as standard. Wash the floor and wash the carpet. In most cases carpets, affected by mold, need professional mold treatment to prevent mold from further growing.
8. Wash the moldy fabrics in the washing machine. Wash the surface of the furniture with a rag.
9. Remove the cause of mold (leakage, thermal bridges, etc.). One of the major factors to prevent mold from further growing is controlling humidity in your home with the necessary waterproofing to prevent moisture from entering your home.
10. After completing work, regularly check the places you have cleaned. If the mold appears again, check the walls for hidden infections. Look for professional help to prevent mold from further growing.
Health Problems Associated with Mold Presence
Mold does not have a detrimental effect on all humans, but it separates particles that can cause the more sensitive to sneeze. This is not necessarily an allergic reaction (although it is a common result of direct or indirect contact with mold). Often the mold in the room has an unpleasant, irritating odor.
Because of the mold, allergies often appear. Symptoms caused by allergies include:
- Breathing diseases or asthma
- Wrinkle, pinching and / or redness of the eyes
- Chronic cough
- Headaches or migraines
- Problems with sinuses, stuffy nose
- Often sneezing
Children may develop breathing problems as a result of excessive contact with specific mold. Indicators that children have problems caused by mold include (but are not the only) cough and sneezing. Increased exposure to areas with problematic surfaces increases the likelihood of developing respiratory problems during the first year of children’s lives. Studies have shown that there is a link between the likelihood of developing asthma and the increased exposure to mold, so you have to take measures to prevent mold from further growing.
One of the worst facts about contact with mold is that there is a poisonous type of mold known as “Stachybotrys chartarum”. It releases micro toxins, which can lead to microbiological problems and even death. Prolonged exposure to mold is especially dangerous. The black mold can be recognized in its green-black color and its mucous upper layer. In rare cases, when the water source favoring the development of the black mold is stopped, the mold appears to be dry and flourish. In fact, there are several types of mold that resemble the black and whether the specific type of mold is poisonous can only be determined by an expert by observation under a microscope.
If the presence of poisonous mold in your home is localized then it must be cleared immediately. Do not try to remove the mold yourself, but seek professional help to prevent mold from further growing. It is advisable to move temporarily to another home until the black mold is completely removed.
Outdoors, black mold grows on soils and on plant remains. Indoors, it needs materials rich in cellulose and a low amount of nitrogen. Typically, the poisonous mold grows where there are leaks in implied places. This type of mold does not grow as fast and easily as most types of mold – in order to grow, it needs a suitable material that is at least one week wet. While other types of mold need one or two days to spread, it is necessary for the black mold to be from eight to twelve days.
There is no cure or antidote against black mold. The only solution is to be removed from your environment. When it moves away from places subject to its detrimental influence, the human body begins to recover and most symptoms disappear over time. Unfortunately, some of the damage caused by the black mold may prove to be permanent.
How to build the premises to reduce the likelihood of mold formation?
Protecting a habitable building from spores is virtually impossible, as they are in large quantities in the air around us. This, however, is not a cause for concern because, until they meet development conditions, the spores remain inactive. Until they activate, the spores can not cause any damage.
When building individual rooms, it is advisable to follow certain points that would significantly prevent mold from further growing by reducing the presence of a mildew-friendly environment. It is important that the joints between the tiles are filled. It is especially recommended to do this with a silver-ion grout that has an antibacterial effect. Paint the walls with paint resistant to the negative impact of the mold.
All in all, if you have faced the problem with mold in your home, you’d better contact a professional firm as the best measure to prevent mold from further growing.
Our company will perform professional inspection, implement the correct tests, map the mold in your home, and remove the whole mold permanently. In addition our professionals will give you valuable advises